DETAILS FOR THOSE WANTING TO USE PAUL’S MATERIALS IN AN EDUCATIONAL COURSE
Accents & Dialects for Stage and Screen is the leading textbook in stage-dialect instruction for actors and is used in schools around the world, with free instructor copies and discounts on five or more copies.
The new Deluxe Streaming Edition printed book is superior to our past editions (adding Jamaican, Estuary, and Birmingham, plus sound files delivered as streaming audio rather than on CD) AND is 25 percent cheaper! So this is the edition we recommend.
To preview the text, click here. Or to get a better visual and audio preview, visit YouTube. Or preview both text and audio with the iTunes eBook (Apple Book) version. (It now matches exactly the Deluxe Streaming Edition of the printed book in price and content.)
The book is priced at $79.95 for individual copies.
- Your students may order single copies directly from us at this link (option #1) or from Amazon at this link.
- For five or more copies as a single order, we will honor your institutional purchase order, for a 15% discount plus shipping.
- If you or your student proxy order five or more copies, the same discount applies. We will send an e-invoice after hearing from you and ship after receiving your payment.
- Discounts on five or more copies (maximum of 30) are also available when ordering on Amazon at this link, using an Amazon business account. (On Amazon, you might have a choice of seller. Make sure you choose Paul Meier Dialect Services.) If you don’t have an Amazon business account, we will refund you 15 percent after you forward us your Amazon receipt. One bonus in choosing this method is that Amazon gives you the option, when ordering multiple copies, to have each individual copy shipped to a different address. This will save you from having to distribute the books to your students yourself.
- If you’re not in the United States, check your own country’s Amazon, such as Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk, or Amazon.com.au. This gets you quicker delivery and cheaper shipping!
Note about orders from campus bookstores: We now require prepaid orders from them and no longer accept return requests. If you prefer to use your campus bookstore, please advise them of our policy change.
You get a free instructor copy regardless of which ordering method suits you best. If you aren’t placing the order with us, send us your syllabus showing a catalogue number, and your free instructor’s copy of the book will be speeding your way.
You or your students may prefer the iTunes eBook (Apple Book) referenced above. As it’s sold directly by Apple through iTunes, we are unable to offer academic discounts.
Voicing Shakespeare eBook is also a very popular textbook for Shakespeare performance classes. At $29.95 per registration key, we offer the same discount of 15 percent on orders of five or more.
The interactive charts of the International Phonetic Association, graphics by Professor Eric Armstrong of the University of York in Toronto with Paul voicing the sounds, are also a powerful additional resource. View the IPA demo page for free or purchase the charts as an iOS or Android app. (Search your app store for “Interactive IPA.”)
The International Dialects of English Archive (IDEA) is an indispensable companion resource to Paul’s accent and dialect publications.
LET PAUL BE YOUR GUEST INSTRUCTOR
Paul is happy to teach your students via Zoom. Email Paul for a quote on your exact needs. Tell him the topic you would like him to address, the number of students, the number of sessions, the length of the sessions, and preferred dates and times (with your time zone).
He will address almost anything related to the spoken word. Possible topics:
- The art of audiobook narration
- Your first commercial voice-over demo reel
- Dialects of the British Isles
- Foreign-language accents
- Performing Shakespeare
- Introduction to the IPA
- Diction for actors
- Effective oral communication
Fees: Paul will quote each project individually, but you may anticipate between $25 and $50 per participant, per 60-minute session.